The Marianas Visitors Authority has promoted the Northern Mariana Islands at various travel shows and with familiarization tours and sponsorships, including:
- MVA hosted the Trip to Rota exhibition in Seoul from Aug. 16 to 22. The exhibition featured the works of professional photographers and celebrities from Korea that visited the islands in June.
- The agency participated in the 2017 Asian Dive Expo Beijing Ocean Week on Aug. 31 at the China International Exhibition Center. Longtime Saipan resident Li Ningning, the first Chinese-speaking female AIDA Instructor and the first and only female AIDA Master Instructor from China, spoke about her diving and teaching experience. Li has lived on Saipan for 18 years.
- From Sept. 2 to 5, MVA and Delta Air Lines began a three-part cycle of familiarization tours for Japanese travel agents. Nine travel agents participated in the first tour. Participating travel agencies were JTB World Vacations, H.I.S., Kinki Nippon Tourist, Tobu Top Tours, ST World Inv., Nissin Travel Service and IACE Travel.
- MVA and Dynasty Holiday attended the China International Tourism Industry Expo 2017 in Guangzhou from Sept. 8 to 10 to showcase the NMI. The event attracted over 200 exhibitors from 55 countries, nearly double the number of last year’s exhibitors.
- In celebration of World Tourism Day on Sept. 24, MVA participated in the Yarmaka Travel 2017 event in Vladivostok, Russia which was attended by 4,000 people.
- MVA continued its efforts to grow the niche market of golfing in the NMI with its sponsorship of the Marianas International Cup 2017 on Oct. 28 to 29, hosted by Imperial Pacific International. Some 130 golfers from Japan, Korea, China and the NMI were expected to participate in the event at Kingfisher Golf Links and Lao Lao Bay Golf & Resort in Saipan. The MVA’s office in Japan co-sponsored a qualifying round in Tokyo in July with 200 players.