By Charlotte D. Huntsman
Director for SHRM Pacific State Council
The most important asset in any company is its people. There is hard evidence that if you have happy and engaged employees, a company will become more profitable.
For that very reason, companies must create strategies in increasing employee engagement. What employees want out of an organization are what makes a company a great place to work. What is important to employees in the US is just what is important to us here in Guam:
- Companies need to value their employees by paying them fair and equitably. In the days of COVID and disasters like Typhoon Mawar, money is key and is a driving factor in why an employee will chose a company to stay working for a company, and on the flip side why they would choose to leave a company no matter what other benefits is provided. If we look at Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs theory, a human needs to satisfy the physiological needs which means ensuring that food, water, sleep are met. That basically means one needs to make money.
- Companies need to develop their employees. Employees need to see that they can grow with a company. Training and showing that there is a future with a company is what employees look for.
- Employees seek a leadership team that is transparent and truthful. They need to see that their leaders are honest and have integrity. They need to see leaders engage their employees and provide truthful feedback and guidance.
- Employees want a workplace where they get along with others. An employee spends more time with their work family than they do with their blood family and so enjoying where they work is important.
- The culture of the organization drives success. Being inclusive and having a diverse workforce is one of the keys to a company’s diversification. Companies need to seek ideas and their input from their employees to ensure buy-in from them. Employees want to see that a company values what they have to say.
Organizations that put their employees first wins.